Anatoly Arkadievich Kharlampiev It all happened in 1928. [Bell ringing] Thank you for your support,
comrade Podvolsky. Your word was decisive. Yes, but I didn’t understood
what fight you have invented. I did not invent anything –
other people invented it before me. I see …agitating again ? OK explain, why the Red Army
needs your martial art? It wouldn’t survive without it? Try to understand, Nikolai Ilyich In our army, the agility and the
intellect must overcome brute force. – When are you leaving?
– Tonight. First, to the Caucasus, then to Central Asia. Well … What to do with you? I don want to let go of course but… Go. But … as you know,
the situation is a bit complicated there. I cannot guarantee your
safety. A film by
Andrew Rostotski Unbeatable Scriptwriter
Paul Lungin Director
Yuri Boretski Operator
Michael Goyhberg Composer
Evgeni Ptichkin Senior Consultant
Z. m. of the USSR A. Kolesov [Camel roars] [Camel roars] Boy: I cant do it any more,
I’m going to fall. Old man: You can not die –
you’re the last man in the family! Boy: Grandpa, why didn’t you
gave the manuscript to Jafar? Old Man: Shut up! Tamerlane himself –
King of Kings was afraid of our ancestors. Boy: All the same, we will die. You must help this guy! Russian: Yes … the guys have
done it properly. Hurry on! If one of you had fallen, this could
be the end! Who did this to you? – Jafar.
– Shut up! Boy: Grandpa!
They didn’t caught the camel! Old Man: Well done!
its returned. – Come on.
– What is your name? – Khromov, and you?
– Yulchi. Khromov: – Well, let’s go!
Yulchi: – I can not. Old man: We cannot live without
that camel! Yulchi legs were paralysed when they
killed his father. My son. Yulchi: grandfather will cure me
in the mountains! You talk too much! Khromov: Yulchi, do you have friends
other than camels? Yulchi: None. It is better not to love people. – Why not?
– They die. Khromov: This is how I go around in the world. Learning different fighting techniques, looking for ancient manuscripts in which
they are described. By the way, dear Fattahbek, do you know the manuscript
called “Kalsanaty”? Yulchi [excitedly] – Grandfather, …
Old Man: – No. No, never heard of it, dear. [Camel cries softly] Good morning! Boy: Asal maleykum! – Where’s Khromov?
– Where? He is far away. – Hey, girl! Where’s the village council?
– There. [Hammering] – Salaam Alaikum, Chairman!
– Alaykum Salam. – Do you like it?
– Very … And what does it say? Down with the burqa – the mask of hypocrisy! – Is it your idea?
– Yes. Convincing. [Laugh] And where is the home of
Master Juma? Our Juma? Over there, on the mountain. Want to learn Kurash? – There will be problems – come.
– What? He is no ordinary man …
You’ll see. – But he is a great master.
– Well, see for yourself. – See you soon.
– Good luck. So come, Guest! – Hello, Ustos!
– Why are you here? I heard, that you are famous for your knowledge
of ancient fighting techniques. I would like to learn from you. – Are you a Russian?
– Yes. From the Volga. Don’t break your glasses! [Laugh] I can take them off when it’s necessary. [Laughter stopped] Well, let’s go. [Laugh] Lilah: Father is back!
[Children’s laughter] Well, come to me! [Laughs] Why do you need, our Kurash? I’m interested not only in the Kurash. I also studied Chadaoba in the Caucasus. Gushtinyu from Tajiks.
And now I have come to learn from you. Sit down. Khromov: Where can I find the best teacher? [Water flows] Take it to the guest. Khromov: His name is Roly-Poly.
And yours? Juma. [Khromov laughs] [Whistles] Here! [Boy whistles] Take it. [Smooth music] Teacher: Here we are teaching in
a different way. When a father gives his son a mule
he says: “Mister, teach him, beat him.
The meat is yours but, the bones are ours.” Your meat, Master. Take care of business. Take the cauldron, Take it to the river, wash it and bring it back here. It will be done, Master. Sorry, friend. Move a side. OK, show me the way,
little Juma. Smells very nice! [Laugh] Khromov: Hey, careful,
I’m going to fall! [Children’s laughter] Khromov: Well, it fell. Khromov: [t] I wonder … did they
washed it anyway? – Could you get me a bunch of twigs?
– Yeah, right away. And you – give me some sand from
the shore. Good boy. Good job! Well, That’s another matter! – Lyle, come with us!
– No, no, no, go alone! Thank you, little Juma. I couldn’t do it without your help! – What’s this?
– Oh! Well … Let’s go home. [Merry march] Uh, wait, wait, wait. Look. Grab him here and throw! All right. Excellent. So. Now you try it.
Grab him firmly! Hey, rookie! I’m talking to you. Are you deaf or what? Bring me some tea – I’m thirsty! Dear Abdullah, I did not understand what kind of tea – black or green? I told you, green! Are you mocking me? Abdullah: Oh! Sari surun! Asarikift! But this, Abdullah, you
do not know. Just don’t tell this to anyone –
they would laugh on you! – And would you teach me this?
– [Laughing] I will teach you. Let’s
shake hands on it. Where are you swimming? [Laughs] This roll has shown me one
good man – the old master. Okay. Come back tomorrow, early. Phew! [Gasps] Okay. Enough. Enough for today. Laylo: You play with dolls? This is my main teacher –
Roly-Poly. You push him down, and yet
he always stands up. What do you always write
in the notebook? Poetry? These are much more important
for me now than poetry. Lilah: And why is it so important? Once I saw when a peaceful
demonstration of unarmed students were attacked by the Black Hundreds,
bandits and monarchists. Bandits. Bandits beat them with sticks,
knives … and knuckles. They were deliberately beaten with skill –
to death. And they could not do anything. They were beautiful, intelligent, they knew
how to argue, but you know … … they did not know how to fight. On that day,
they killed my brother, too. He wrote poetry. Smart .. good people
should be able to defend themselves. They need to be taught how to. And you think you know
all the moves of Kurash? Almost. – Are you sure?
– I am sure. – Are you not lying?
– No. I am not. Come on, get up. Let’s see what you can do! – Do not be afraid! Come on!
– [Laughing] Well, let’s go then. Khromov: Wow! Did you hurt yourself? You know .., every nation have
its own Kurash, its own martial art. I want to collect the best techniques
and combine them. To become the most powerful of all? No, to be able to teach others. The weak – how to protect themselves from evil. The unarmed – from the armed. You’re a strange man Khromov. You don’t write poetry,
yet still you talk like a poet. But you deliberately let yourself
to be beaten – dodger! Ustos Juma, the next week Yakub Khan
organises a wrestling championship. God gave him a son! Come to Saylik with your fighters
to compete! Will see who’s better. Yakub Khan will reward the winner with a richly embroidered robe. – My fighters will be there.
– Hop! Heye! Sari surun! Kambash! Asarikift. Tuyachil. Repeat. Teacher: Guest! Well guest, show us what you’ve got! Begin! Andrei, Will you come with us to the fight? [The children laugh] [A prayer] Here we go! [Urging their horses] Children: [shouting] Good luck! Good luck! [Smooth music] [Pipes Pipes] [Tambourine plays] – It is chilly today.
– You thought it is always hot around here? Where did you serve? In the special regiment fighting
against robber bandits. We destroyed Jafar’s gang,
and now I’m going home. – Zakhar.
– Andrei. [Cheers] Uncle Bless Tokhtasynov. Ustos, bless me! Amen. So help you God!
Amen! – Tohta’s son is a strong fighter!
– Abdullah wins. Judge: Start! [Screams] – Abdullah, give it to him!
– Tokhtasynov, come on! – Come on, Abdullah! The winner is the student of
Ustos Juma, Abdullah! [Cheers] Dagger of Akbar the great wrestler! [Cheers] Oh! Attendance: [quietly] Yeah, that’s a gift! [talking happily in Uzbek] Bless him, uncle! [Blessing] – Allah Akbar!
– Amen! Judge: Begin! [Screams] – Abdullah come on! – Karim!
– Karim, do not fear him! [Screams] – Show him! – Get him!
– Come on, Brown, come on! [Clink] Yes Allah will send
you a long life! [Crunch] He broke his arm! Kareem won! This is unworthy of the noble
Art of Kurash! Ustos Juma, fight is like the real life – where always the strongest wins! – I’ll fight!
– I’ll go! – Who is this?
– My disciple. He’s Russian. Do you authorize it, Ustos? [Laughs] Whoever wins will get
an embroidered robe. And can I try it on? [Laugh] Try it on, while you still can! Voice: I add a camel to your robe! Everyone knew her. [Voice] – Yes, everyone knows her.
– Of course, we do! Be careful – he fights dirty. Do you remember everything? Here you go. Begin, begin! [Glee] – Hooray!
Referee: – Throwing does not count! Why not? Why, why …
You should not touch the ground with
your knees. Judge: Keep going! [Shouting] Come on, Russian, come on! Khromov: Hold on! Hop! [Groans] At least you didn’t break your hands! [Cheers] The second throw was strong …
Very strong … Will it stuck in the ground! Come on, Yakub Khan is waiting! He fights fair! Karim Haidar! Haidar, come out! Great Haydar Kalim against the
Russian! Closer, a puppy! Closer! Dear, come to fight! op! [Glee] [Beggar mumbles prayers] Sheikh Jafar, the old man have
vanished into thin air! You lost the dog again. Now we go to the mountain
and you’re looking for the old man. If you do not find him, I’ll kill you.
Go. You know how the people call you?
The Undefeated! So what, am I invincible then? Come to our village –
I will treat you as my brother! I’ll make you a pilaf! Its beautiful there! Ask for the
Red Farhad, everyone knows me! See you there! – Well, have a nice trip Invincible.
– Thank you, Ustos. You were a good teacher! You’ve learned all that I know. And remember, Andrei,
the life of a man is short but true knowledge – has no limits. This Russian ruined my holiday. My son was born, and there were no
fighters in my family. Now … everyone will laugh
at me! Nobody will laugh at you. [Alarming music] Hey, Unbeatable! Yakub Khan sends you a gift! You wanted to try it? Here you are! Thank you. Hop! Go to uncle and tell him that no one will laugh at him. [Whipping horse] Hey! Hey! [Fast alarming music] Who’s this with you? I caught a thief. Give him to me. I’m in a hurry! Out of my way!
I do not want to disrespect your age! [Gasps] [Smooth music] [Weakly]The Notebook! The Notebook! Shut up. In his words go
life and strength. Here, drink this. Yulchi: Grandpa found a notebook.
And I found the bag. [Groans] [Slow music] [Pigeons coo] [Hooves] – The wolf came again.
– How many killed? Six. Look at him – cold dead. Both of you are sick. Life –
is movement! If you will just lie like this
ram – you will die. In the meadow there are many stones.
Collect them! Grandpa! Look how many stones we
collected! Not enough! Come to me. Today I drive the flock to the mountains. Take a stone. And you take a stone, too. That’s better. Come with me. [Bleating sheep] [Old man chases sheep] Khromov: Ustos here too
good grass! Why go up so high? Old man: Beauty is understandable
for animals. I lead the sheep to the most beautiful
places of our mountains. People come for a hundred miles afar,
just to buy my sheep! [Laughs] Tired. [Terrified neighing of a horse] Old man: Wolf! [Boy sings in Uzbek] Old man: Here, drink this. Thanks, I am already healthy! Hop! Old man: Well, well … Andrei! When you were on the tournament,
you showed some skills in the fight, but you do not know what
is mastery without a fight. Let’s go! [Sound of water] Come here! Closer. Closer. Look down. Your greatest enemy is fear. The fear that lives
in every person Mastery knows no fear.
Get up. Come on. When I will beat myself – I gain new …
unknown forces! Jump! Everything you’ve been taught before –
is just the external side of the fighting skills. Jump! [Groans]
Old Man: Does it hurt? Learn to forget – the sword
in front of you, just as the thorns – whether you face a weak or a strong opponent! Jump! So, you want to create the perfect
fighting style and give it to the people? Yes, Ustos. And are you not afraid that you will give
your people a terrible gift? A gift that is like the snake’s poison, which can heal, but can also kill? No one knows where the path of
knowledge leads. I do not understand, Ustos. – Does it still hurt?
– Yes, in the evenings. – And now – it hurts less, right?
– Yes … I could even kill you with such a light touch. Kill me? Well, yes … And this can be taught to some
villain, too… or to some madman! My knowledge is dangerous. So what? So you still want to learn it? – Well?
– I do not know … That’s why some sages
live far away in the mountains, alone. Sages eventually come down from the mountains searching
for students. Knowledge should not be buried
with them when they die. [A wolf] [Shutter sound] Old man: It is too far away to
waste a bullet on. Khromov, if a wolf is evil,
it should be punished. Is that right? Of course it is. In nature there are no such things
as good or evil. Tell me, where was the evil
until people came up with the idea of good? My father was killed by evil people! And Khromov wanted to kill an evil person! I will be strong and will
deal with them! [A wolf] Go to sleep. I will watch the sheep. [A wolf] Khromov! [Shouting] Khromov! [Barking] [Wolf fast breathing] This is it. [Wolf fast breathing] [Dog barking] Khromov: [shouting] Run faster
faster! [Whistling, laughing] You’re looking for “scroll Tay”? Here it is. This Tibetan manuscript
was given to me by my teacher. Whoever studies it, will become a great
healer or the greatest killer. Jafar murdered your father Yulchi
for this script. I am an old man. This knowledge is already a burden
for me. You took it. Now it’s your burden. Yulchi, Khromov will be a good
teacher for you. Remember your father’s murderer! Beware of him!
He is a terrible person. If he hears about the manuscript, he will try to destroy you. Khromov I gave you everything. Now, you are the master. Yulchi: – He followed us!
Chrome: – Who? Yulchi: Look to the left.
Some guy. I saw him yesterday. And all day today
he was following us. Khromov: I think I know him. Of course I know him! Why are you following us? Go home. Yulchi: He is still following us!! He is coming! The Fattahbeka puppy
is with him! Greetings, unbeaten fighter! You’re mistaking me with someone else. The news of your miraculous healing
have reached our village Lyakum. Lyakum … My friend,
Red Farhad lives there! He invites you to our village
for a big tournament of Kurash. Many masters of the ancient techniques
will be there. They will show you things
you have not seen yet. – And is this place far from here?
– I’ll show you! Look, a bird! You’re like a girl! I’m a girl. Are you crazy! Walking around
in the city wearing men’s clothes! – Yes, you know what… I know. I’m a disgrace to the family. – And are you not afraid?
– Of course I’m afraid! [Alarming music] Welcome to Lyakum! – Where can I find the Red Farhad?
– He disappeared. We’re looking for him. Enough talk, Asma! Take the young men to his house,
to take a rest from the road. And we, dear, let’s go
to the Chairman. Yulchi! This way. – This is our chairman – Sheikh …
– No sheikhs! Just call me “comrade”.
Comrade Murvale. – I’m Khromov.
– Khromov? Asal maleykum!
That very same Khromov? Glad to see you in good health. Welcome to our village. You are our honoured guest. I was also interested in
ancient fighting methods once. – Getting ready for the holiday?
– No. This is our group of self-defence.
Village guards. There are some bandits in the mountains. We must be on alert! Move, move! – What have you got in the bag?
– Nothing. Just things! I’ll check it out. Voice: Go, go, go! Oh, who returned to us! Farhad! Well, Red Farhad, you are back? To the square! Go! – What a strange village.
– Uh-huh. The order is executed. Farhad is caught. I’ll leave you for a while.
Ahmadjan! – Entertain the guest. Bring some tea.
– Yes, sir. Would you like some more tea, Comrade Khromov? No, thank you.
Can we play something? What? There is a Russian game – called
“Bug”. I can teach you. Muslims! Muslims the villain shed blood
of the defenders of Islam! He is a servant to the
white-eared,their faithful dog! He abused the Shariah! He wanted to run, but nobody can escape his own
fate! No one will escape the hands of
justice! No one! But I am merciful, and will spare you. I’ll spare him for you.
Because you are deceived. Do you regret your actions? Brothers! Brothers! Do not be afraid of those scoundrels! Today or tomorrow our team will
come and save us. Do you see, how deluded is
this man? Each disease is treated by
its own medicine. Let this unfortunate
be helped by our contempt! [Spits] All those who love Shaykh Ja’far
follow his example! [Spits] [Shutter Sound] Brother, it is better to die than to endure
such a disgrace! Remove this crazy
– Go! He will talk tomorrow. [Crying] They will kill my brother! – Stop crying. What is your name?
– Zumrat. – Who are these people Zumrat?
– Bandits. They came two nights ago. Killed every communists. Only my brother escaped.
And their leader … I know him. He killed my father. His name is Jafar. [Kick] [Laughter] Well, the competition will start tomorrow? Enough, Khromov. There will be no competition. Then let’s talk frankly, Jafar. You guessed it.
I like you. Very nice. I need the “scroll of Tai”! What scroll? Do not pretend to be an ass, Khromov.
You are not convincing. Why do you seek death in a forsaken village like
Lyakum? It is stupid. You’re a scientist, a modern man. The scroll is not for you.
This is the art of killing. Do you agree? No, this is the art of life! Life … Anarchy breaks out. The world order is violated,
and in order to restore it, killing should be done without mercy. – Fear is a good medicine!
– Medicine? But you yourself are afraid, Jafar! And no scrolls will save you from that. I could have been the one … – I need to think.
– Think then. Think about it. And also consider the boy. They will suffer before they are killed. Lilah: – Where are you going?
Yulchi: – I will kill this man! Allah will forgive me! Lilah: This kid will destroy us all. You were left in charge, and you ..! We need to save Khromov. Zumrat where are they holding your brother? In the old smithy. What are you thinking? – Take off your clothes!
– A? – Fast! Do not be afraid, I am not a man.
My name is Lilah.
#570 Look away! What are you looking at? – How much further?
– Over there, behind the bridge. Your boys are in the house of Farhat. [Alarming music] – What are you doing here?
– I brought dinner for my brother. Your brother does not need more food
anymore! Leave it here! – Khromov! Khromov, are you there?
– He is with Jafar. Untie me! To Jafar! Keep your rifle! Let’s go! Wait for us here. Take the bag, there is
a scroll in it. I am alone. He killed my father! I myself, I myself … In such cases
don’t hurry! [Shot] – Who was that?
– I don’t know! Khromov: They started fighting… [Shot] [Shouting] Khromov is back! Alive! Yulchi: How many bandits are in the village? Now count! Two less! Jafar ordered him back alive! I’ll tie you for your own good! – Get him!
– Try it! [Miss] Go away, Yulchi! I’ll distract them! [Shoots] [Shoots] [Gunshots] [Shoot] [Gunshots] I am in a hurry, guys! Where to? You came to us
to compete! By what rules will you
fight? We have no rules! Oh, guys, guys … Again! [Fast music] Yahal! Kill him, Yahal! Children: [shouting] The Russian is killed! [Knocking] Come on! [Ringing] Get out! Get out! Come out, people of the village Lyakum! Get out! Get out! People are being killed before your eyes,
and you just sit. Khromov is killed, and you, you … Nice speech! Do not be afraid of him! He is an ordinary murderer. And he’s afraid of you. [Gasps] Forget what she said!
She is insane! Murderer! Out of the way! Off! Gone! [Fast music] [Shot] Khromov? Get out! Out of my way! [Shouts] Get out! Khromov! Khromov! Khromov! [Groans] That’s it! [Shouting] Yayayayaya! [Smooth music] [Sound of water] [Smooth music] [Chime] “Sambo” – what does it mean? Khromov: Self-defence without weapons,
comrade Podvolsky. Ivan Vasilievich, please start! – Begin.
– Yes! I’m ready. Do not joke – our lads
are serious. Ermakov, strike that citizen! How hard? Pretend that he was your
class enemy. – Do it!
– Come on. Khromov: Please. Something like that. – Well done!
– Very good! Here you go. We take it to the service. “Every man is endowed with a
major reservoir of creativity, but most people sleep soundly. To awaken the forces –
is our most important task. ” Anatoly Harlampiev END